Group Medical Visits for Type 2 Diabetes
Group Medical Visits (GMVs) are periodic medical appointments held by health care professionals and provide group education and individual follow-up care in a welcoming, caring, and supportive environment.
Each group visit is 90 minutes and is held once a month over a four (4) month period. Groups are limited to 6 members to support a personable atmosphere. Group visits are held in-person at our Wellness Centre and require continuous masking during the visit
GMVs are different from group workshops and individual counseling in that they provide increased opportunities to ask personal questions and provide more time with your healthcare providers in a relaxed setting. In addition to individualized support, members will also benefit from other group members questions and shared experiences. Each GMV series will have a customized experience as the topics discussed at each visit are uniquely decided by the members in each group, not the healthcare professionals.
GMV for Diabetes supports those with prediabetes or type 2 diabetes who are ready to make behavioural change strategies to support self-management and achieve their best health. Education and actionable strategies will be based on the questions or concerns brought forward by group members.
90-Minute Group Medical Visit Flow
5 Mins: Group welcome and check-in.
40 Mins: Education provided by a dietitian, nurse, or guest speaker based on the topic of choice. During group education, participants will also have individual check-ins with the dietitian or nurse.
20 Mins: Group Q&A with the healthcare professionals.
5 Mins: Group members decide on educational topic for next visit.
5 Mins: Group check-out and individual monthly goal setting.
Common topics and concerns that can be discussed in Group Medical Visits for Diabetes:
- Blood sugar medications
- Carbohydrate needs and counting
- Food cravings
- Healthy eating patterns
- Healthy food and beverage choices
- Individual calorie needs
- Natural health supplements
- Physical activity
- Problematic eating behaviours
- Relapse planning and goal setting
- Restaurant eating strategies
- Self-sabotage behaviours
- Sleep concerns
- Stress management
- When and how to use a glucometer
- Why change is difficult
SCPCN group workshops to consider:
- Understanding Diabetes Workshops: Recommended before starting Group Medical Visits for Diabetes.
- Best Weight workshop is recommended for those with excess weight concerns.
- Health Basics workshop is recommended for those looking to establish healthy lifestyle habits.
- Craving Change: Concerns with problematic eating behaviours such as emotional eating or binge eating.
- Label Reading and Menu Planning workshop to support healthy food choices and meal planning.
Additional workshops are also available through the Alberta Healthy Living Program.
* Please note that group medical visits do not address questions related to insulin use and is not appropriate for those with Type 1 Diabetes.